Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Our First Date: What to expect!

Ok, so hopefully you have pulled your paperwork together and now you are ready to go out and find a Bankruptcy Attorney (see my earlier post about paperwork).  First, let me address a misconception about Attorneys.

Not all Attorneys charge a consultation fee.  Those that do, from my experience, are simply trying to weed out the serious from the 'just looking for free legal advice.'  Folks must understand that Attorneys primarily earn their living from applying their knowledge and experience.  When that is given away for free - you don't need the Attorney!  Therefore, a free consultation is intended to be used to meet the attorney and see if they are a good fit for the issues that you bring to them.  The free consultation is not intended to answer all your specific questions about how you should answer a traffic ticket, or how to file for divorce or bankruptcy.

Our trip towards filing a Bankruptcy Petition ( the formal document that will be filed with the United States District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, Norfolk Division) for you begins with a FREE consultation.  During that time we'll share - you providing some specifics about your situation and we'll try and provide some answers, such as:

  • Are you married? and, will this be a joint or individual filing?
  • Do you have a mortgage? How about car loan(s)? and, how about any other secured debt?
  • Are you working? What income sources do you have?
  • How many dependents do you have?
That is just a small sampling of what we'll discuss.  We really won't talk much about each of your debts and creditors, but will focus primarily on whether or not it appears if you would qualify for a Chapter 7 (Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 are two specific forms of personal Bankruptcy).  My intent with our initial meeting is for you to leave (1) with a solid understanding of what the Bankruptcy process consists of; (2) being comfortable with me as an individual and professional; (3) understanding the potential outcome of a Bankruptcy; and (4) what your next steps are.

Additionally, when you leave the office after our first meeting you will take with you a folder containing:

  • A process flowchart of the overall steps included in filing,
  • A personal property inventory worksheet,
  • Information concerning required counseling (a pre and post filing counseling class is required of each filer - they can be taken online!) that must be completed,
  • Our contact information and e-mail address,
  • An informational brochure on filing Bankruptcy, and
  • A clear understanding of our low fees!
The information that we provide will be applicable regardless of who you have assist you.  My goal when you leave the office is not what you might expect; I truly want you to (1) understand the process and how it applies to you, (2) realize that there is hope, and (3) appreciate that a Bankruptcy really can provide you (and your family) a fresh start.  Now I am human so yes I want your business - but, I want it because you feel comfortable with us and not because you were bowled over with a pushy sales pitch!

Confession Time:  I strive to always be prompt in returning my calls, courteous and respectful of others, professional in all my dealings and to place your interests above all others!  However, I am human, and when and if I mis-step, I am humble enough to apologize!  My personal ambition in life is to be of servitude to others before myself.

Before we meet, you must understand that I have an engineering background so be expecting to be wowed by my mastery of a White Board and and a handful of colored markers!  I'm working on getting some of these up on YouTube (another reason to Like us on Facebook!).

Be looking for my next blog where I will try and simplify the differences between a Chapter 7 Petition and a Chapter 13 Petition, and what determines which one you may file!